Monday, September 28, 2015

Stewardship of Dreams

I believe God made us each to be unique, beautiful creations, each with dreams and desires that He sparked within us. I firmly believe that He has a purpose for seeding those desires within us, and it’s just not to see how we react when we are denied.



I grew up with some pretty messed up ideas of God--specifically, that anything I desired I was required to sacrifice for God. That our desires existed solely so we could prove to God we have the self-discipline to not act on them.

Uhhh….no.

(Does God sometimes call a person to give something up for Him? 
Sure, yeah--God does lots of unique things in various situations. 
But this is the exception, not the rule!)

I believe the rule is that God has built us with unique gifts and dreams because He wants us to live them out. My life (and my relationship with God) significantly changed when I gave myself permission to stop wishing and start doing. To stop ignoring my desires, stumbling through life trying to figure out what else God wanted me to do, and to nurture those seeds of dreams He planted. 

And God has blessed those efforts to bring those little fantasies to life. I keep thinking about the Parable of the Talents. I feel like Robert and I have always striven to be good stewards of what God has given us; with our finances, and in recent years, with our dreams and passions. Now I’m doing what I love, in a place I love, with people I love. And finally, the gospel actually seems like Good News.



So I challenge you: live your dreams. Be who God made you, not who you think you need to be. Be ridiculous. Be free. Steward those dreams He’s given you; live life more abundantly.

What’s one of your little fantasies? Just. Do. It.

What’s one of your big dreams? Start building towards it.

I don’t post pictures to make people jealous--I’m just sharing the beauty I’ve found as I’m delighting in what God’s made and what He’s wired me to desire.




So I let myself do those things I've always dreamed. Play my fiddle in a golden aspen grove? Check.

1 comment: