Friday, September 17, 2010

Personal Opinion of Various Authors

As I was cleaning the kitchen this morning, I started thinking about books I have read recently. Why? Mostly because my current favorite author's latest book is on hold for me at the library...except it's Friday, which means they are closed, so I can't go pick it up.

Brandon Sanderson is a fantasy fiction genius. Elantris, his debut novel, was good. His Mistborn Triology was freaking amazing. Warbreaker was also excellent, and his kids' series, Alcatraz vs. ____, was imaginative, humorous, easy enough for kids, and interesting enough for adults. And to make it better, so far everything I've read by him has been clean enough that I would recommend them to my little sister.

Cliché fantasy fiction is easy to find. However, if you want non-cliché fantasy fiction, go to Sanderson. He is a master of complex plots and surprise twists.  His magic systems are intricate, well-thought out, and original, and his characters are diverse, complex, and realistic. Part of what I love about his writing is that he leaves enough subtle clues--and many of them are quite subtle--that if you're paying attention, you can figure out the twists, because they do make sense. His writing is more dense than others, taking longer to read and requiring more intellectual involvement, but that's how I tend to like my books.

I have not been as impressed by the other authors I've experienced in the last few months. Stephanie Meyer's Twilight Saga was among the novels I read. I found her writing to be a fast, easy read--I have to say, she was very good at keeping the pace going, and with the lack of mental involvement the story required, I was able to average a book a day. However, several of the characters annoyed me, the plot was thin, and the explanation and use of supernatural abilities was weak.

I also listened to Christopher Paolini's Brisingr audio book. It's not horrible, but I find his writing rather tedious, actually. Eragon has enough emotional angst to be a teenage girl, and the story rambles a lot without getting anywhere. It takes forever for anything to happen, and the plot does not seem to have been well thought-out. Granted, I haven't finished the series so I could be proven wrong, but I'm not impressed.

I haven't read any of her works recently--in spite of her prolificness I have run out of novels owned by the library--but I feel the need to mention Agatha Christie. Her writing is dense and intellectual...it's not about fast-paced action, but thought and response. Very, very good mysteries.

And so, I wait for tomorrow to pick up Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings. I don't actually need to be productive this weekend, do I?

3 comments:

  1. I just started the Way of Kings, Lesley's already finished with it. I haven't made it past the first chapter yet but man it jumps right into the action. Really looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reviews, I'll have to check out Sanderson (if I can find the e-book versions :-).

    Also, keep in mind that Christopher Paolini was a teenager when he wrote the Inheritance books, while Agatha Christie wrote hundreds of books... I haven't read Paolini yet, but you're not really comparing equally experienced authors here, and his style might mature with time. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fair enough, Carla. For a teenager, Paolini is good. And he could surprise me yet if he manages to tie together a bunch of random things in later books. But I'm not getting my hopes all that high.

    ReplyDelete