Monday, August 9, 2010

A Typical Day Recorded in An Untypical Way

Here is a photo journal of a usual weekday at the Szalapski household. Friday, August 6th, to be exact.



The plan was to sleep in, as we'd been having to get up early every day this week to get Robert to a conference NI was putting on. Unlike two certain other males that I live with, I am equipped with a body clock, so I woke up at the same time we had all week. 6:30, to be exact. I tried going back to sleep, but gave up. I was hoping the clocks would show in the picture, but they didn't. They said 6:50.


Tiernan wasn't long in joining me, though.


We began with the Very Important Cup of Tea. Lyons is my favorite--it's an Irish company, and while it claims to be the most popular over there, I've only found one store in Austin that sells it.


Ever since Amanda blogged about it, I'd been thinking about trying the oil-cleansing method on my face. I finally got started about a month ago, and I've really liked it. I've never been good about washing my face, but I enjoy doing the cleansing...it's very relaxing.


Tiernan got to play in the tub once I needed the sink for the hot water.


While we waited for Daddy to wake up, we packed his lunch, nursed, and read books. Tiernan especially likes books with dogs in them that he can bark at.


Once Daddy woke up, Tiernan and I made breakfast while he showered. Scrambled eggs with roasted potatoes and toast, to be exact.


Tiernan wasn't impressed. He's not much of a breakfast person yet.


He did enjoy feeding Robert, though.


His latest trick has been blowing out candles. We're practicing for his birthday. He knows not to touch them, and so far has done pretty well at obeying.


Then we said goodbye to Daddy as he left for work.


After Robert leaves, we always go play outside on the back deck for an hour or so. I read, have my quiet time, journal, and drink my tea. Tiernan adores being outside, but with the heat what it is we limit it to a couple hours in the mornings and evenings.


Then we went to the front so I could do some woodwork. Robert spoils me, he really does. Sanding goes so much faster with a power tool. Tiernan wasn't thrilled with the noise of it, though, so I had to finish after he went down for his nap.


While he was sleeping, I continued working on wood. After I finished sanding, I began doing the burning. I wish I'd remembered to take a picture of the finished product, but I didn't, and I already gave it away.


When Tiernan woke up, we had a snack of hummus and bread, a favorite of ours.


We read books, played,


and washed dishes and cleaned the kitchen.


We ate our lunch of leftovers.


Tiernan fed himself cheese on a fork. I did the stabbing.


We did a bit more housework and playing. Or playing housework, to be more accurate, since I don't think much got done.


Meet Tiernan the thrill-seeker. He did this quite intentionally a couple times.


Next we made bread.


While the bread was rising, we worked on music together. I was working on writing some harmony and counterpoint to a song we're getting ready to record.


Tiernan got tired and fell asleep while I played.


Then our friends came over to play! Here is Karyn Kalmbach, Tiernan, and Mia in the kitchen.


I really, really wish this picture hadn't turned out so blurry! But it was too good to not post.


Then Daddy came home and Tiernan and the bear tackled him.


We all worked on music together.


Robert watched Tiernan while I fixed supper, and then we ate. (Italian beef and gravy, bread, peas, and salad.) Sorry for the cheesy grin.


Then Robert and Tiernan played with the hose outside while I did the dishes and cleaned up after supper.


I was pretty tired by the end of the day, and well, Robert spoiled me some more. It started with a foot massage while I nursed Tiernan, and then escalated to a bubble bath (complete with candles, dark chocolate, and Irish Cream) and a full body massage. By the end of it I was thoroughly relaxed, and enjoyed a wonderful night's sleep.

3 comments:

  1. this is a cool post! It makes me wonder how many hours you have in a day though :D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your day with us. It's so cool to see Tiernan doing everything with you. You're such a good mom!

    ReplyDelete